To All Shenandoah County Barn Lovers,
I have been partnering with artist Sally Veach to do what we can to preserve the historic barns of Shenandoah County. Sally’s art combined with the barn survey I am doing for the Shenandoah County Historical Society has generated growing interest in our barns among a small group of barn lovers. Preservation Virginia has named the Barns of the Shenandoah Valley among Virginia’s Most Endangered Historic Places for 2018.
Now it is time to expand this barn preservation effort to a larger group of people in order to become more effective in preserving as many of our barns as possible. The goal is to create a working group of caring people who are willing to devote some of their own time and energy to a wide variety of tasks, all focused on preserving barns. There are many aspects of barn preservation that could be undertaken. Ideas include:
• Surveys and documentation of barns
• Creating a list of barn repair resources
• Publication of information about our barns
• Educational programs
• Video documentation of barn stories
• Seeking grants for barn repair and restoration
• Fundraising to assist barn owners with maintenance and repair
• Partnering with like-minded groups in other localities
• Public programs and events to highlight our barns
• Sharing Shenandoah barn information through social media and other channels
• And more…
If a core working group can be established, that group will decide how to organize, what to call the group and which activities to undertake to preserve the barns of Shenandoah County.
If you are interested in participating in barn preservation, please send me an email with your name, address, email address, phone number and a brief message of how you might like to help.
Please share this with others who want to preserve Shenandoah County barns. If you have any questions or concerns, call or email me at any time. I look forward to participating in barn preservation efforts with like-minded Shenandoah County folks.
For more information about the Barn Preservation Program, please visit the Shenandoah County Historical Society’s website: www.schs1795.com
John Adamson, Shenandoah County Historical Society
540 975-2240 cell